Windows has come up with its latest version, the Windows 8. The all-new Windows 8 is bundled with a wide variety of handy features and applications that will tempt every Windows fan for an upgrade. While upgrading to the latest version, you may want to backup your files from the previous operating system and it is fairly an easy task with the help of Windows easy transfer. Windows 8 transfer feature lets you easily back up all previously saved files from an external storage device.
Using Windows Easy Transfer
- Open Windows Easy Transfer and start your transfer from the old operating system.
- Follow the steps that appear. When you are prompted to select a media for storing your data, select a CD, DVD or any other external storage device.
- When prompted, select the location of your removable storage device and click “Ok”.
- Remove the storage device when you are finished copying your data.
- Install a fresh copy of the Windows 8 operating system.
- Insert the removable drive to your Windows 8 operating system and launch the Windows easy transfer feature. To do this, go to the Start Screen and enter “Transfer” in the search field.
- Open the Windows Easy transfer option.
- Follow the steps that appear carefully.
- You will be prompted to choose whether this is a new transfer or an existing one. Choose the appropriate option.
- Select “Continue a Transfer in Progress.”
- Select the option labeled “Removable media” when you are asked to select the type of transfer you would like to use.
- Select the location of your files.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Complete the steps that follow to finish the transfer of files.
Note that Windows easy transfer only lets you transfer files and data. The software and applications installed in your previous operating system will not be copied to Windows 8. Keep a copy of the installation files of software that you need to back up.
Transfer using Backup
You may also use a third party backup program to backup your files. Make sure to check if the backup program is compatible with Windows. Install the backup program and backup your files. Even when you are using a third party program, you will not be able to backup software and applications installed in your previous version of Windows.
You may keep a separate copy of the installation files for software and programs. Install these programs separately once you have finished configuring Windows 8 transfer.Google+